Consumer Reports: 5 things to knock out before New Year's | News
While you're knocking out your shopping list, Consumer Reports' MoneyAdviser magazine recommends you check this one off, too:
* Review your investment portfolio to see if you might want to take investment losses to offset capital gains or apply against your income. That might benefit you at tax time. Consult a licensed CPA.
* If you're headed for college or have a child headed there, MoneyAdviser said now's the time to fill out student financial aid applications, which should be submitted immediately after Jan. 1.
* Start checking out seasonal sales on bikes, gas grills, GPS systems, appliances, electronics, toys and TV's.
* File rebate applications for the holiday gifts you bought. MoneyAdviser said keep photocopies of them in case the company rejects your rebate claim or loses your application.
* If you have adult children, it's time to talk to them about your finances, wills, living wills, etc.